Tohru Manabe (Ph.D.)
- Research Interests
- Structural and dynamic aspects of plant communities in old-growth evergreen broad-leaved forests
- Species biology of Eurya japonica, Cleyere japonica and Camellia japonica (Family Theaceae)
- Conservation ecology of the endangered plants growing at secondary vegetation
- Ecological functions of isolated secondary forests in urban and sub-urban areas
- Main Publications
~ Forest Ecology ~
- Do,V.T., Sato,T., Saito,S., Kozan,S., Yamagawa,H., Nagamatsu,D., Nishimura,N. & Manabe,T. 2015. Effects of micro-topographies on stand structure and tree species diversity in an old-growth evergreen broad-leaved forest, southwestern Japan. Globa Ecology and Conservation, 4: 185-196.
- Nakanishi,A., Yoshimaru,H., Tomaru,N., Miura,M., Manabe,T. & Yamamoto,S. 2015. Inbreeding depression at the sapling stage and its genetic consequences in a population of the outcrossing dominant tree species, Castanopsis sieboldii. Tree Genetics & Genomes, 11: 62 (pp.10).
- Nakanishi,A., Yoshimaru,H., Tomaru,N., Miura,M., Manabe,T. & Yamamoto,S. 2012. Patterns of pollen flow in a dense population of the insect-pollinated canopy tree species Castanopsis sieboldii. Journal of Heredity, 103: 547-556.
- Yamamoto,S., Nishimura,N., Torimaru,T., Manabe,T., Itaya,A. & Becek,K. 2011. A comparison of different survey methods for assessing gap parameters in old-growth forests. For.Ecol.Manage., 262: 886-893.
- Manabe,T. & Song,J.-S. Gap characteristics and gap regeneration in secondary deciduous broad-leaved forests on Mt. Jiri, South Korea. Bull. Kitakyushu Mus. Nat. Hist. and Hum. Hist., ser. A, 9:157-165.
- Manabe,T., Shimatani,K., Kawarasaki,S., Aikawa,SI. & Yamamoto,SI. 2009. The patch mosaic of an old-growth warm-temperate forest: patch-level descriptions of 40-year gap-forming processes and community structures. Ecological Research, 24: 575-586.
- Shimatani,K., Kawarasaki,S. & Manabe,T. 2008. Describing size-related mortality and size distribution by nonparametric estimation and model selection using the Akaike Bayesian Information Criterion. Ecological Research, 23: 289-297.
- Shimatani,K., Kubota,Y., Araki,K., Aikawa,S., & Manabe,T. 2007. Matrix models using fine size classes and their applications to population dynamics of tree species: Bayesian nonparametric estimation. Plant Species Biology, 22: 175-190.
- Ueno,S., Tomaru,N., Yoshimaru,H., Manabe,T. & Yamamoto,S. 2006. Effects of canopy gaps on the genetic structure of Camellia japonica saplings in Japanese old-growth evergreen forest. Heredity, 96: 304-310.
- Fujita,T., Itaya,A., Miura,M., Manabe,T. & Yamamoto,S. 2003. Long-term canopy dynamics analyzed by aerial photographs in a temperate old-growth evergreen broad-leaved forest. Journal of Ecology, 91: 686-693.
- Fujita,T., Itaya,A., Miura,M., Manabe,T. & Yamamoto,S. 2003. Canopy structure in a temperate old-growth evergreen forest analyzed by using aerial photographs. Plant Ecology, 168: 23-29.
- Nishimura,N., Hara,T., Miura,M. Manabe,T. & Yamamoto,S. 2003. Tree competition and species coexistence in a warm-temperate old-growth evergreen broad-leaved forest in Japan. Plant Ecology, 164: 235-248 .
- Ueno,S., Tomaru,N., Yoshimaru,H., Manabe,T. & Yamamoto,S. 2002. Size-class differences in genetic structure and individual distribution of Camellia japonica L. in a Japanese old-growth evergreen forest. Heredity, 89: 120-126.
- Kominami,Y., Sato,T., Manabe,T., Endo,A. & Noma,N. 2002. Classification of bird-dispersed plants by fruiting phenology, fruit size, and growth form in a primary lucidophyllous forest: an analysis with implications for the conservation of fruit-bird interactions. Ornithological Science, 2:3-23.
- Miura,M., Manabe,T., Nishimura,N. & Yamamoto,S. 2001. Forest canopy and community dynamics in a temperate old-growth evergreen broad-leaved forest, SW Japan: a 7-year and 4-ha plot study. Journal of Ecology, 89: 841-849.
- Manabe,T., Nishimura,N., Miura,M. & Yamamoto,S. 2000. Population structure and spatial patterns for trees in a temperate old-growth evergreen forest in Japan. Plant Ecology, 151: 181-197.
- Ueno,S., Tomaru,N., Yoshimaru,H., Manabe,T. & Yamamoto,S. 2000. Genetic structure of Camellia japonica L. in an old-growth evergreen forest, Tsushima, Japan. Molecular Ecology, 9: 647-656.
- Manabe,T. & Yamamoto,S. 1997. Spatial distribution of Eurya japonica in an old-growth evergreen broad-leaved forest, SW Japan. Journal of Vegetation Science, 8: 761-772.
- Yamamoto.S. & Manabe,T. 1997. Typhoon disturbance and tree replacement pattern in the secondary evergreen broad-leaved forest, JIBP Special Research Area at Minamata, southwestern Japan. The Japanese Journal of Forest Environment, 39(1): 13-20.
- Manabe,T. 1996. Variations in sex expression and reproductive function of an evergreen broad-leaf understorey species, Eurya japonica Thunb. (Theaceae). Bull. Kitakyushu Mus. Nat. Hist., 15: 137-144.
~ Landscape Ecology and Conservation Ecology ~
- Manabe,T., Suda,R. & Shimizu,K. 2015. Report on the factors affecting the decline in Potamogeton dentatus, an endangered water plant, in Kitakyushu City. Bull. Kitakyushu Mus. Nat. Hist. and Hum. Hist., ser.A, 13: 7-18.
- Manabe,T., Ito,K., Hashimoto,D., Isono,D., Umeno,T. & Iijima,S. (2011) Characteristics of the spatial distribution, vegetation structure and management systems of shrine/temple forests as urban green space ~The case of Kitakyushu City~. In: Hong, SK et al. (eds.) Landscape Ecology in Asian Culture. pp. 221-233. Springer.
- Ishii,T.H., Manabe,T., Ito,K., Fujita,N., Imanishi,A., Hashimoto,D. & Iwasaki,A. 2010. Integrating ecological and cultural values toward conservation and utilization of shrine/temple forests as urban green space in Japanese cities. Landscape and Ecological Engineering, 6: 307-315.
- Ito,K., Fjortoft,I., Manabe,T., Masuda,K., Kamada,M. & Fujiwara,K. 2010. Landscape design and children’s participation in a Japanese primary school planning process of school biotope for 5 years. In: Muller, N. et al. (eds.) Urban Biodiversity and Design. pp. 441-453. Wiley-Blackwell.
- Manabe,T., Ito,K., Hashimoto,D., Naito,K. & Watanabe,S. 2007. Community structure of secondary evergreen broad-leaved forests in the urban area of Kitakyushu City, western Japan. Bull. Kitakyushu Mus. Nat. Hist. and Hum. Hist., ser. A. 5: 39-48.
- Manabe,T., Ito,K., Isono,D. & Umeno,T. 2007. The effects of the regulation system on the structure and dynamics of green space in an urban landscape ~The case of Kitakyushu City. In: Hong,SK. et al. (eds.) Landscape Ecological Applications in Man-Influenced Areas. pp. 291-309. Springer.
- Manabe,T., Kashima,H. & Ito,K. 2003. Stand structure of a fragmented evergreen broad-leaved forest at a shrine and changes of landscape structures surrounding a suburban forest, in northern Kyushu. J.Jpn.Soc.Reveget.Tech. 28 (3): 438-447.
- Manabe,T., Naito,K. & Nakagoshi,N. 1997. Vegetation structure of a secondary grassland at a line corridor in Fukuchi Mountain system, northern Kyushu. Bull. Kitakyushu Mus. Nat. Hist., 16: 113-135.
- Naito,K., Manabe,T. & Nakagoshi,N. 1995. A habitat of Lithospermum erythrorhizon Sieb. et Zucc. (Boraginaceae), a threatend plant, in Hirao-dai limestone plateau, Kyushu. Bull. Kitakyushu Mus. Nat. Hist., 14: 99-111.